Millie came home last night a little quiet from gymnastics. As I was helping her get her pajamas on for the night, she timidly said, "There is a girl at gymnastics that doesn't like me."
I wait.
My heart breaks for her as I realize this is the first time she has come up against the idea that not everyone will like her.
"Why do you think she doesn't like you?" I finally respond.
"I don't think she likes that I'm silly. She tells me I'm stupid," Millie offers.
"Do you like that you are silly?" I question.
"Yes."
"Then, we can't worry about what that one girl thinks."
I have no delusions that I can or even should shield my kids from heartache, although it doesn't make it any easier when it happens. I tried to talk to her about pettiness and jealousy and how sometimes people act in ugly ways because they are unhappy.
She considers this option and then finally says, "I just don't think she knows me well enough."
I smile.
She has a lot of Aaron's easiness in her and I love her for it.

1 comment:
That's an awesome post! Millie rocks. I'll beat that girl up for ya, if needed. :)
Post a Comment